Sunday, May 17, 2015

Whole

You know you're doing well when you can go back to places--places you've felt estranged from, pasts that have been closed to you, broken off--and feel/experience life once more as you did in your youth. You know something's right when the broken and seemingly meaningless fragments of your life and pieces of your heart and soul feel like one complete whole as opposed to disjunct pieces of some foreign existence. That's how I felt today as I drove into the familiar cities of my youth, and in the familiar streets of my very early childhood, to the chapel where my dad and step-mom were sharing a brief message. As I sat in the congregation of my very young childhood chapel with many of my family members and their families, listening to my dad and step-mom speak about missionary work at the pulpit, everything just seemed good and right, and whole--not weird as it had before.

It is amazing what happens when you start focusing on the things that are right instead of that which seems wrong--as if in order to solve a 'problem' that is what must be done. Ironically, though, if one really wants to solve a problem, one must not take the latter approach. It is amazing what happens when you start focusing on the things that are wrong instead of those things that are right. I've experienced this enough to know, many times over, in different situations and experiences. I am not ashamed to say it. I have been on both sides.

I am grateful that God is a constant, a pure constant, that though people come and people go, opportunities, experiences, feelings, responsibilities, love, et al., that God will be and has always been there, a constant, my constant. God is the one, the only one that remains constant through it all. He is the only one that can be trusted perfectly. He is the only one in whom I trust, completely--though I am not perfect and yet trust imperfectly; yet I don't believe He expects perfection, only that I learn.

Without experience all of this must sound jibberish. Looking at what I've written, it could be understood so many ways. I guess that's the beauty of experience.

I am grateful for families. I am grateful for love. But most of all I am grateful for a Heavenly Father that is always present, and in whose presence we can have everlasting peace.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing?" Christ asked, "and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows" (Matthew 10: 29-31).

I believe God hears and answers our prayers and that. He loves us. He just does.

Have a good week everyone. I wish you the same success and peace where there is doubt, fear, or whatever that may trouble your heart.

Until next week,

<3
Janeel