Sunday, February 21, 2016

Learning how to be a student

I've been thinking about what it means to be a student, and how one approaches learning the restored gospel of Jesus Christ via the role of a student versus as a teacher/leader. I realized this morning that to be a disciple, really, is just to be a student.

For all my life I've had it flip flopped. I saw discipleship as a form of leadership--which it is, I guess, if one learns how to be an 'exemplar' student. But what does it mean to be a student? My questions began last week when a lady in my Sunday School class asked a "Do you think" question instead of sharing an "I think" statement. I decided to try a do you think question too and wow. It revolutionized the way I think about teaching and learning. I've been so focused on leadership I think I've missed a few things. My new goal is to learn what it means to be a student, and what the Savior taught about how to be a student/disciple.

I prefer to identify myself as a student rather than a teacher. It's less stressful. I don't have to be perfect. I can mess up, like a lot, and still feel safe as long as I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and not play the scapegoat blaming games--projecting my own faults and failings on other people, things, and situations. I can own my imperfectness and embrace my role as student. Heck, that's why a student's a student. We have lots of room to grow and we know it, so we do something about it :)